[Coral-List] Oil and Coral

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Tue May 4 12:52:59 EDT 2010

I agree it is a good idea to look at the World War II example, but I
also suggest we be wary of shifting baselines.  What were the coral
communities like before World War II erupted?

Since Gene has brought up the topic, and since I have a long interest in
military history and naval history -- I have the entire Samuel Eliott
Morison "History of U.S. Naval Operations in World War II" in my library
-- is anyone aware of a complete list of sinkings and estimated volumes
of oil/fuel spilled as a result of the war?  It might be worthwhile to
compare volumes of oil and fuel released then to what we are seeing
now.  (I think I can get a pretty good list of sinkings in the area from
Morison's books, but am not so sure about volumes of oil spilled.

Dave

On 5/3/2010 1:35 PM, Eugene Shinn wrote:
>        So yes, I agree my little test is not the last word on oil
> toxicity but as I said earlier, the past is the best teacher.
> Consider what happened during WW II. Maybe this present disaster will
> stimulate the much needed research. We have enough well-meaning
> resource managers, we need more objective science. Gene

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan