[Coral-List] Coral Reef Degradation

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Tue May 18 11:00:51 EDT 2010

Reinforcing what Gino says, it is an axiom of marketing that products should
be pitched using attributes appropriate to the targeted market segment. I
suspect however that the second part of Gino’s message, the emphasis on
instrumental rather than inherent values, is more important. Considering the
Gulf blowout, its a sure thing that PR damage control is pretty high on the
priority list of the oil industry executives and technocrats now convened to
manage the blowout, and that a very large amount of money will be thrown at
this. Given the vast resources and sophistication of the PR expertise and
machinery at the disposal of the oil industry, and the credulousness of the
addict, the environmental flak dispersant generated is likely to be very
effective. Under these circumstances, if oil consumption and offshore
drilling are to be reined in, it will not be by environmental concerns
directly, but by the economic consequences to other industries. Emphasizing
these consequences in terms voter-consumers can understand may be the best
defense. Unfortunately the downside of capitulating to instrumental values
is that the war is lost to win a battle.