[Coral-List] Need for more oil

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Tue May 18 12:00:35 EDT 2010

>Dear Listers who wish to end oil use.  An interesting article  was
>published recently in the NYTimes titled  "A Bad Bet On Carbon." The
>article lists a number of problems with Co2 sequestration but the
>significant one had to do with scale. Here is the direct quote.
>"The third, and most vexing, problem has to do with scale. In 2009,
>carbon dioxide emissions in the United States totaled 5.4 billion
>tons. Lets assume that policymakers want to use carbon capture to
>get rid of half of those emissions---say 3 billion tons per year.
>That works out to about 8.2 million tons of carbon dioxide per day,
>which would have to be collected and compressed to about 1,000 psi
>(that compressed volume of carbon dioxide would be roughly
>equivalent to the volume of daily global oil production).
>    In other words, we would need to find an underground location (or
>locations) able to swallow a volume equal to the contents of 41 oil
>supertankers each day, 365 days a year."
>     The rest of the article is about the 23,000 miles of new
>pipeline needed and the social problems with property rights and the
>25% reduced output of power plants due to carbon capture.

Any thinking person can see this is a near impossible task in the
near term even if the figure is cut in half. Many look to France for
Co2 reduction where its no secret that they do it using nuclear
energy and reprocess the waste. They even export some electricity to
other European nations.  If you believe Co2 is a real problem for
corals and want to reduce oil use we should do what the French did.
That way we can remain productive and not depend on foreign sources
of goods such as the computers on which we write these messages. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor