[Coral-List] Bermuda Chub Kyphosus sectatrix-white dots?

Arlo Hemphill arlo at stanford.edu
Wed May 26 13:09:31 EDT 2010

Hello Steve,

These fish are well known to associate with pelagic Sargassum as
juveniles and likely associate with rigs as pelagic "structure" in
absence of the algae. My guess would be the white spots serve as
cryptic coloration amongst the weed. One of their resident predators -
the sargassumfish, Histrio histrio- also has such white spots.

Best,

Arlo Hemphill

Sent from my iPhone