[Coral-List] please define acronyms

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Mon May 31 16:59:45 EDT 2010

Folks,
    Coral-list goes out to people all over the world, and for many of the readers English is a second language.  Many people (whatever their primary language) will not be in the same specialty you are.  If you don't define your acronyms, we, including many of us for whom English is a first language, will not know what you're talking about.  Please, as a courtesy to your readers, define your acronyms and abbreviations the first time you use them, the same as you would have to do in an article.  (Hey, we all forget to define them sometimes, but it helps if we do define them.)
  Many thanks!
Doug

NASA simulations have determined that carbon levels above 350 ppm are incompatible with sustaining a planet similar to that on which civilization has developed and to which life on Earth is adapted (The Open Atmospheric Science Journal, 2008, 2, 217-231.).   In May 2009, the atmosphere hit a record 389 ppm. (Keeling curve, Mauna Loa, Hawaii, May, 2009).