[Coral-List] Seaward MPA boundaries | Chagos MPA

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 06:56:32 EDT 2010

Doug has raised interesting questions about factors which might
determine the choice of size for MPAs, particularly in the context of
pelagic species.

In the direct context of the Chagos fishery and the MPA there is a
recent paper by Heather Koldewey of London Zoo together with an
Editorial by Charles Sheppard. (Marine Pollution Bulletin 60 (2010)).

Koldewey looks at the fisheries of the Chagos EEZ which for the last 19
years have been regulated under a licensing regime to prevent
over-exploitation. She presents catch data collected by the licensing
authority for both the Pelagic Tuna Fishery and Inshore Fisheries, and
also looks at Bycatch. Points that emerge are that:

(1) within the commercial fishing industry the Chagos fishery is
considered well managed.
(2) Pelagic catches are very variable between years (clearly indicating
not only the varying number of licences but also the movement of fish
stocks around the Indian Ocean).
(3) the Inshore Fishery is considered to be within sustainable limits
(it is this fishery which is mainly pursued by boats from Mauritius,
some owned by Chagossians).
(4) there is a significant problem posed by illegal Pelagic fishing,
with 50 Sri Lankan longliners illegally operating in Chagos waters
between 2002-9.
(5) in the Inshore Fishery there is a major problem of illegal fishing,
particularly for sharks, resulting in a 90% decline for these between
1975 and 2006.
(6) Bycatch records are considered unreliable and there has been an
inadequate Fisheries Observer program to monitor this, nonetheless, the
size of the bycatch is considered to be a serious conservation issue.

Koldewey then examines the potential benefits of a Chagos MPA, and
assumes that it will consist of a single EEZ wide 'no-take' zone. She
reaches the conclusion that this will maintain both the fish populations
and the near-pristine habitat that exists in this area, whilst stating
that the almost complete lack of existing data for the pelagic fishery
poses a problem in assessing any effect that a no-take MPA may have for
these species.

Undoubtedly, Koldewey's paper is a valuable set of statistics gathered
together in one place, even thought she seems inclined to disparage the
very data that she uses. The one illogicality is that she appears to
assume that control of the fishery can only be achieved through a
no-take MPA. In so doing, she ignores that there is an existing legal
regime which has been in place for 19 years which permits the same
degree of control. Indeed it is this legislation which has been used to
suspend all fishing licences (as of 1 Nov 2010) and not the MPA, which
does not yet exist.

Having identified that illegal fishing already presents a major problem,
Koldeway does not go on to examine specifically how an MPA will
alleviate this. We already know that the UK Government is planning to
replace the existing fishery protection vessel, the Pacific Marlin, with
the same vessel for the MPA patrol. This financially constrained
administration has had to welcome a donation from a Swiss philanthropist
for 3 years operating costs, but has made no commitment to any
additional resources. 544,000 square kilometres is a very large area for
a single vessel to patrol.  The US air base at Diego Garcia presents an
excellent opportunity as a base for a fisheries patrol aircraft, but
this is an expensive option and as far as I know there is no intention
of funding this. It is possible that the US could be asked to provide
air support, but military jets are a hugely expensive and inefficient
tool for the job, and it is an unlikely scenario.

The danger that we face is that we are lulled into a false sense of
security by the creation of an MPA in this part of the Indian Ocean. In
reality nothing changes except the name, a Fishery Management
Conservation Zone becomes a MPA. The same inadequate resources are used
to detect and curb illegal fishing. Any fisheries statistics that
existed by virtue of a regulated fishery are extinguished by a ban. Any
income which the fishery provided is lost, requiring funds to be found
elsewhere. It is the very scenario of the 'paper park' that Charles
Sheppard denigrates in his Editorial.

What we need is a commitment by the UK Government to provide adequate
resources for enforcement, adequate resources for scientific research,
and adequate resources to improve and conserve the Chagos archipelago,
not simply fancy words and a Public Relations exercise.

Richard P Dunne