[Coral-List] Chagos MPA

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 13:42:10 EDT 2010

David Evans asks:

Dunne said [Coral List Nov 1 2010]: "The one illogicality is that she appears to assume that control of the fishery can only be achieved through a no-take MPA. In so doing, she ignores that there is an existing legal regime which has been in place for 19 years which permits the same degree of control. Indeed it is this legislation which has been used to suspend all fishing licences (as of 1 Nov 2010) and not the MPA, which does not yet exist."

Is this true?

Yes it is.
The current legislation is the Fisheries (Conservation and Management)
Ordinance 4 1998 (originally 1991). Licences to fish were/are issued by
The Director of Fisheries through the Marine Resources Assessment Group
Ltd in London. The MPA exists in theory only. There is no legislation
and there are no management policies in place other than those that have
existed under present laws and have evolved over the past couple of
decades. It is the existing rules that are being enforced. There are no
changes from the present Fishery and Conservation Zone. Everything
envisaged by way of an MPA, can and has already been achieved without
recourse to an MPA.

Proponents of the MPA have recognised the existing strong protection in
a statement in August 2009: "Whilst recognising that there is already
relatively strong de facto environmental protection, MPA designation
would greatly increase the coherence and overall value of existing BIOT
conservation policies, providing a very cost-effective demonstration of
UK government's commitment to environmental stewardship and halting
biodiversity loss." The words "increased coherence and overall value" is
surely a recognition that MPA designation is mere 'window dressing'.
Politically, the MPA was seen as a cheap way of providing green
credentials to Prime Minister Gordon Brown and Foreign Secretary
Miliband in the dying days of the Labour Government, a legacy akin to
the Bush declaration of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Monument.

A further problem is that the UK Government cannot progress the MPA
until the UK Courts rule on a challenge by the Chagossians on its
lawfulness. If that should succeed the MPA declaration may have to be
rolled back and the consultation process started all over again. Three
Queen's Counsel, and an array of lawyers does not come cheap, and it is
the UK taxpayer who is paying all these costs. Money which could be
better spent on enforcement, conservation or research.

So it seems that the Chagos MPA crusade and vision has served to open
old wounds and stir up old hatreds both from the Chagossians and the
governments of the Maldives and Mauritius. In so doing, not only has the
legitimacy of the MPA been challenged both domestically and
internationally but so too the existing legislation has been drawn into
question. It would be a catastrophe if the MPA vision was to lead to
less, not more protection as a result.

In the newspaper article to which our attention is drawn, Mr Owen refers
to the "territorial waters" as being the Chagos "fully protected marine
reserve" which he says came into force on 1 November 2010. The Chagos
"territorial waters" however only extend 3nm offshore, and one can only
conclude that he used the term incorrectly and instead meant to refer to
the EEZ (200nm). It also seems that Mr Owen was misinformed about the
nascent MPA. It serves to illustrate that we should be careful about
what appears in the Press.

If one visits the FCO web pages for the Chagos, it can be seen that
visiting yachtsmen are still allowed to catch fish by rod or line for
personal consumption (British Indian Ocean Territory - Laws and Guidance
for Visitors). These rules have not changed since February 2009. Further
evidence, if it were needed, that the full "no take" MPA has yet to be
declared or enforced down to this level. And even with an MPA the US
personnel on Diego Garcia will continue annually to fish 25 tonnes of
tuna and reef associated fish species purely for recreation and
pleasure, a quite unnecessary waste of natural resources by a population
who are probably the best and most expensively fed in the world.

Richard P Dunne