[Coral-List] Pew report on climate change

GJ GJ at fishion.eu
Tue Nov 23 16:47:38 EST 2010

The title "An inconvenient truth" was so spot on!
Everyone looks at truth side of this, but the crux is the inconvenient bit. People don't want to know about it, don't want to do anything about it. Any way to deny climate change is very convenient indeed...

People will only be convinced when they experience the downside of their gamble. When it hurts, they will respond and act.
The best scientists really can do is keep on putting out the facts of what is happening all over the world. Corals dying, ice melting, birds failing to breed, habitats changing, extreme weather, climate changing, all of it. Even better would be good global synthesis of all these facts. Accurately and easy to understand.
It is up to ENGOs and other parties in the political and media arenas to continue to broadcast these facts and insights.

Things do indeed look grim at the moment. Not only climate change, but almost everything relating to environment, sustainability, etc has disappeared out of the newspapers in recent months. It is all economy and how we get through the crisis without too much damage to our personal money, materialism and status. Such swings happen all the time. Fortunately, the forces in society are such that there will be a swing back in some years. In the mean time there is little point in complaining or despair. Best is to go on, keep building the case and get it out better next time.

Interestingly, many companies are continuing to execute their sustainability agendas. Avoiding/mitigating climate change is asking for very very big changes. These take time and go with fast and slow periods alternating. The positive forces driving it are generated by the stubborn idiots that keep going regardless of anything.

So, let's just keep going. No giving up, no complete changes of what we are doing. All efforts to truth, convenient or not!

Best wishes, GJ

--
Dr Gert Jan Gast - Fishion Consultancy
Koningin Wilhelminakade 227, 1975GL IJmuiden, the Netherlands