[Coral-List] Starting a coral nursery

DeeVon Quirolo dquirolo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:24:27 EST 2010

Hi Sarah---go to http://reefrelieffounders.com/coral-nursery-report.html to
learn about the Coral Nursery that Reef Relief's Craig Quirolo and NOAA's
Dr. Harold Hudson pioneered in the Florida Keys.
All the best, DeeVon

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Sarah Flinn Campbell <
sendsarahpresents at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for with regard to starting a coral nursery.
>
> I am working with a dive centre on Koh Tao, Thailand and we are looking to
> start some environmental work between a few of the dive schools out here.
> We
> are looking into srating a coral nursery in the bay for numerous
> reasons. Firstly we would like to encourage the growth of new coral. Alot
> fo
> the coral reefs out here are getting bleached in the high season when the
> water gets too hot and with the amount of divers on the island some is
> being
> damaged through diver contact. Secondly we want to start the coral nursery
> to encourage divers to dive responsibly and generate an interest in marine
> conservation.
>
> We are looking for advice on the best way to structure the nursery, which
> corals to start with and any tips or advice that anyone has.
> What should the skeletal structure be made of?
> What is the optimum depth/temperature for the nursery to be located?
> Which corals should we start with and what should the spacing be.
> Obviously we do no want to cause more harm than good and we would love the
> project to be a success and and advice would be greatly appreciated.
> appreciated Looking forward to hearing from you,
>
> Sarah Flinn-Campbell

DeeVon Quirolo

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

We can do no great things; only small things with great love.
Mother Theresa

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics
whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can
dream of things that never were.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy