[Coral-List] La Nina and global warming

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 15:07:48 EST 2010

Steve

Global Warming/Climate Change does relate to corals and yes we use to have coral reefs in central california; we use to have tropical waters over much of the central valley but I don't start talking about the melting of the tundra/permafrost or the opening of the Arctic Pack Ice on Coral List....are they related - kind of.

But we can talk about what are the GW aspects of the northern and southern most corals - say those on the south end of Hainan Island in South China...north edge of South China Sea...Do we see any changes in sea water temps north of Bermuda...

I don't want anyone restricted other than saying how GW is either affecting or not yet affecting corals at XYZ...be they skeptics, scientists, or lots of "small people" and I don't worry about religious or political swings of anyone as long as we are talking corals, reefs, and marine ecology...

Many aspects of the GW (note NOT using CC) are not directly related to oceanography (thermodynamics of the thermal differences between the equator/polar and drivers for jet stream) but then they can be related to the winds  then to currents and then to sea water temp and eventually to corals...ALL I ask is to keep the focus on corals as the list states, and yeh even reef balls...how about the changes in starfish distribution and their effects on corals...

Does anyone have the address for the best science-blog-list for global warming or even climate change????? I have always been leaning on te climatological sides but worked in the North Slope conditions...influenced by Antarctic climatologist and Quaternary glaciologist along with 6 months on fisheries for the first offshore oil production platform in the US Arctic ocean...

BUT Where are the reefs that would be first affected by GW East/West Coasts of Pacific/Atlantic...any indicators in Diego Garcia or the wester/eastern coasts of the Indian OCeans...

Tom