[Coral-List] The battle for biodiversity

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Mon Nov 29 17:38:05 EST 2010

Martin,

Very well spoken....biodiversity not only of species, but of ecosystems is
perhaps the most challenging task facing our world today...not just in the
sea but planet wide as human populations and technology advances the rate of
change in nearly every ecosystem with increasingly complex outcomes.

Most ecosystems show resilience, some more than others.  Reefs are no
exception.  What we can do in light of the rapid changes humans and
technological  forces, is to work to keep the resilience of our ecosystems
as high as possible.  In some cases that could mean MPAs OR protective
measures for individual species (and many other interventions too) but in
all cases it means...somewhat ironically...that the only way to help
ecosystems resist human changes is for more active human  management of
ecosystems.

It strikes me as obvious that we need to more quickly address the "low
hanging fruit".....why we still have plastic bags floating around our reefs
went the cost to stop that practice is relatively low always makes me
wonder.  Or even to stop people from dropping dynamite on reefs...how
relatively simple with enough will and educational effort.

I guess my point is we need to do the really obvious stuff but we also need
to work up the ladder of increasingly more complex solutions for a myriad of
issues such as pollution or even global warming which just a few years ago
everyone said was just to complex to address.

One thing for sure, it will be an on-going problem and a problem we are
leaving more and more to our grand children every day.  I hope more people
develop your en-lighted sense to help save biodiversity and ecosystems.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court