[Coral-List] The battle for biodiversity

Don Baker reefpeace at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 19:12:33 EST 2010

Hi Martin:

Interesting Essay!    As a believer of the Mother Nature concept along with Gaia, the most belligerent and destructive species walking the planet is the modern human.  Human population is affecting the planet in a most spectacular manner - in a negative way that is of course. We can look at human history and whenever the population gets high we compete nationalistically for natural resources that often end as shooting wars and the resultant population reduction of those same ethnically diverse & nationalistically motivated embattled competitors.

With the way the World is now evolving, those days of natural resource competition have started to become more and more acute; week by week.  It appears the EU is to rise as the most dominant Western block that is now even competing with the rising Asian Block led by China.  Will the EU or China care about coral reefs when it comes to keeping their populations satiated with consumables along with the glitter & glamor of technology.

Where does this all fit with coral reefs and biodiversity?  It fits by the very fact that reefs worldwide are continuing to ecologically fail; some beyond any hint of recovery. Over population of the poor and 'those without' have dramatically increased nearby or even on those reefs trying to survive.  My question is here, is when will these reefs reach a point of no return and abruptly collapse? Could it be like a marine aquarium collapse, whereas, once a level of death, coupled with aberrant environmental parameters reaching intolerable levels => the aquarium completely collapses / dies?

An example of potential reef collapse - that I have personally observed on the shallow reefs of Tawi Tawi, Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao - Republic of the Philippines - was in February-March of 2009.  I was asked by USAID to assess the scenario for 'coral and giant clam farming.' After a week of diving and site assessments, it finally dawned on me that there was something wrong with the 'picture.'   Understandably there was a lack of any large giant clams (Tridacna) but when I noticed in all the pictures that I took, and with all the diving I did => there were absolutely no sea cucumbers present on the reefs - none, nada!  I asked in town what happened?  Buyers from China and Taiwan 'bought'em all' - every last one.  No preference for sizes or ages = > all were taken.

Every presentation I give about the future of Coral Reefs of the World, I stress the need for human population control!  I stress mariculture alternatives to start to replace wild harvesting.  I stress the need to change the lack of nationalistic willpower to care and 'see the writing on the wall.'  I get arguments back that 'if we don't catch/take/harvest.... the others will...so we continue.'

Solutions?  Solution by human kind?   Perhaps Gaia will provide us a solution for us eventually?  It won't be pretty for human kind either.

Don Baker

Alternate Email: donbjr95 at hotmail.com

"Dedication and motivated direction in achieving specific goals related to the care and protection of living things is not necessarily a guaranteed formula for success.  Success is, more often than not, a direct result of a person’s passion in addition to the above formula." [Don Baker, Marine Conservationist/Activist, 1998]