[Coral-List] The battle for biodiversity

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 09:25:26 EST 2010

John, Thanks for the clarification on the variability of genetic structure, I'm
sure the actual situation is far more complex in time and distance than we
realize, but given the longevity of the larval phase of P. argus, and the
patterns of water currents in the broad area, I think it is reasonable to
assume, with your caveat well considered, that the likelihood of reproductively
separate populations of P. argus is not great. But whatever the actual case may
be, when it comes to exploitation, perception, even engineered perception,
becomes reality, and often such perception becomes the basis for regulation. Too
often regulation that would offer functional reproductive protection for a
species (to say nothing of the need for ecological protection) is not enacted
because the burden of proof that such regulation is needed can not be met to the
satisfaction of the fishing industries. And the response after the profits have
been made and the resource is in trouble, is "Gee, I guess we were wrong.
Shucks, now we have to go after a less profitable species." Of course we can't
paint all fishing efforts with the same brush, but it seems to happen all too
often.

On another marine species larval distribution note, I have Diadema larvae now at
day 69 that are finally showing signs of readiness for settlement.

Martin