[Coral-List] Chagos MPA

David Evans davidjevans1818 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 12:26:50 EDT 2010

Doug and List -

First, I'm glad to see this topic being discussed and with civility.

Next, terminology and some clarifications (attempts at clarification at least).

Regarding terminology, I commend Doug for using "near-pristine" in describing
the reefs and habitats of Chagos. I am not an expert in diction or in the
application of terminology to scientific fields, but to me, "Pristine" connotes
"un-touched," which of course the Chagos are not. "Near-Pristine" I think likely
captures it well though.

But that attention to detail raises a question: If the islands were inhabited
for several centuries by a relatively small population, what was their
cumulative impact on the habitats and ecosystem, both above and below the water,
if what is observed there now can be called "near-pristine?"

There is the matter of Time passing as well as the aspect of Life to 'recover'
itself to consider. But there are at least some documentations showing that
human impact was rather small before the eviction of the island's human
inhabitants (Stoddart et al, Atoll Research Bulletin No. 149, 1971).

So, another important term to pay attention to may be "impact," which sometimes
tends to get thrown out loosely (in generality) with out more clear definition.

If an even smaller than original population size of Chagossians want to return
to the primary islands of the Atoll (see a map) what would their expected impact
be on the habitats and ecosystem? Their 21st century lifestyle in contrast to
their pre-removal lifestyle would have to be considered. But that presents both
Positives as well as potential Negatives.

If their actual residence on the islands is limited in time due to expected sea
level rise, should that be taken into consideration (that is, what would their
expected rate of 'impact' be before they had to leave again?).

I don't think these questions have been fully answered yet in Good Faith.

It has been suggested before to me personally that one of the islands used to be
called Sea Cow for a reason and yet there are no Indian Ocean Dugongs/Sea Cows
now present at the islands. Yet, in all honesty, it was the Western harvesting
interests that wiped them out, not the local inhabitants.

So maybe an honest look at what is actually being talked about should be
undertaken.

I worked on Diego Garcia in 2004 for the US Navy and contributed considerably to
a report analyzing its reefs and fishes. Even Diego Garcia at times is described
as "Pristine" (though, of course it is not). Can the footprint (pun intended) of
the US and British presence there be compared to the expected "impacts" of
potential re-settlement by the previous inhabitants? The Chagossians, of course
are not going to dredge a ship channel, anchorage, or a submarine turning basin,
but there might be some useful data to look at.

If the Chagos are to be kept as "near-pristine" as possible, how much of the
extensive atolls and banks MUST be included in that area considering the
background of Human Rights infractions that have already taken place there?

Maybe, the spatial aspect of this situation should be paid more close attention
as well.

And, of course, the potential impact to the US Military mission on Diego Garcia
must be considered as well. That aspect gets little discussion, but must be
considered to play a significant role. It is also outside the theme of this
Coral List, but it should not be forgotten.

As for clarifications, when we were studying the reefs and fish of Diego Garcia,
we actually encountered a surprisingly small number of sharks. There may have
been a procedural explanation for this finding or a seasonal one, but other
studies had already noted a similar trend (i.e.,lack of sharks; Anderson et al.,
1998 "Shortage of Sharks at Chagos").

To be sure, there were many large predatory fish around the island of Diego
Garcia, both inside the extensive lagoon and along its outer reefs.

Another clarification to make is that fishing is in fact allowed at Diego
Garcia, by both "sporting" boats and by supplementary sustenance fishing (the
local workers, Filipinos etc.). Regulations were more recently implemented at DG
and have been added-to progressively (including a restriction on landing
sharks). A conservation zone was established within the lagoon and suggestions
were made to alternate the fishing areas on the outside reefs.

It is true that regulation and possibly implementation can be more stream lined
at a military base. While we were there, at the suggestion of the researchers,
the current British Representative of the islands decreed on the spot that
Napoleon Wrasse would be added to the restricted list of fish.

There has in fact been a fishery patrol boat, the Pacific Marlin, on site since
at least 2004. But limited funds or manning opportunities may have kept it at
dock more than out patrolling. Encroachment fisheries may be responsible for the
reduced number of sharks in the area.

Another clarification is just one of spatially conceptualizing the layout of the
islands, especially in relation to Diego Garcia, the largest and most
inhabitable of the contiguous islands (livable land area). Diego Garcia is
located well to the south and a little east of the main group of atoll islands.
It does not share the shallow bank that most of the others in the group do, but
it is of course still part of the same formation (see a map).

If the Chagossians were to inhabit some of the islands, would their presence
serve to drive off some of the encroachment fisheries? Would their vested
interest in its "near-pristine" condition serve to aid in its preservation?

If we as humans (collectively) must learn to live with our coral reef
environments, would the experience of the Chagossians re-settling and taking up
residence at the Chagos serve to aid us in that education?

I think that these are questions that do have answers that can be arrived at
with good faith consideration - not half truths, misconceptions, and fear
tactics.

I provide the link to the petition mentioned by Richard Dunne here:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/let-the-chagos-islanders-return-home.html

Regards,
David J. Evans

Co-Author:
Department of Navy. 2005. Marine Biological Survey at Untied States Navy Support
Facility, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory, July/August 2004.
NAVFAC. Contract No. N62470-02-D-9997. Task Order 0044. Department of Defense
Legacy Program Project No. 03-183.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV