[Coral-List] Past human impacts in the Chagos

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Fri Oct 8 03:56:55 EDT 2010

  Both Rachel and David make valid observations.

My understanding is that much of the debate to date  has been primarily
about the marine environment and the need to protect that.
Interestingly, both the land and the coral reefs can for the most part
be protected under existing legislation and laws, both national and
international. Indeed some of it is already under such protection and
management. The proposed MPA extends jurisdiction out  into deeper water
to encompass the pelagic fish stocks, etc. However, that can also be
achieved under the existing Fisheries Conservation and Management Zone,
and the Environment (Protection and Preservation) Zone; the former
dating from 1991 and the latter from 2003.

The desire to proclaim an MPA is therefore largely a cosmetic exercise,
albeit many have interpreted it as meaning that the whole area will be
classed as a "no take zone", although the British Government have never
actually stated this to be the case, and to do so would be problematical
under international law. We still await the final details.

Rachel brings the land environment into focus. What should happen to
this is also interesting. As Rachel points out, the islands have already
been modified by the former population, and of course in the case of
Diego Garcia by the the military. I have not visited the outer islands
but the clear impression I get is that many (most?) are not "pristine"
nor "nearly pristine" in the sense that we understand this to mean.  In
these circumstances how and what should be conserved? Should they be
'tidied up'? Should the non-indigenous species be culled, including the
birds that have been introduced? Should the coconut trees be uprooted
and replaced with something else? etc. Should the environment be
'returned' to its original, pre-colonial state - what was this?  Who is
going to do this, and how. There seem to be a lot of difficult issues,
not least because the area is remote. I would be surprised if the UK
Government had any intention of allocating resources to active
conservation on the islands, so one must presume the approach will be
"laissez-faire".

Protection and conservation of the coral reefs seems relatively simple
by comparison, for the impression is that these have been relatively
untouched by the former Iiois islanders. A 'hands off' approach leaving
nature to take its course appears to be the solution here, with the
deeper ocean being patrolled by one fishery protection vessel to prevent
illegal fishing, as it is now.

Richard P Dunne