[Coral-List] Study nature, not books [Re: Artificial Reefs]

Angélica Batista baaatichica at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 14:44:29 EDT 2010

HelloJohn,

Thanks for your fasten answer and the contributions of Louis Agassiz. I
understand your concern. For this, let me tell you that I am
currently working with the coral reef monitoring in sites like Punta Betin and
surrounding areas, supporting within national program called SIMAC.I recognize
the diversity that can support a natural system, but this is no the problem. We
can not ignore that there is a growing trend in artificial habitat construction,
with purposes as diverse as developing fisheries, promoting tourism and restore
habitats. Its efficiency (negative and positive) has been measured, its effect
on fishing can lead to over exploitation, the pollution and other effects such
as release of antifouling have been considered (like the effects of TBT on the
animals tissue). This trend will not stop. That is why it is important to know
different experiences for establish a robust baseline to understand the
advantages and disadvantages of the use of these structures, so as to know the
best practices for its use and build, to then provide guidelines for the
management of these structures.

Thanks so much again, I send you the best wishes for the develop of your
studies,

Angelica

Angelica Ma. Batista-Morales
Investigador
Línea Organización y Dinámica de Ecosistemas
Programa Biodiversidad de Ecosistemas Marinos
Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas y Costeras
INVEMAR
Direción: Cerro Punta Betín, Santa Marta D.T.C.H.
Colombia
Tel. (+57) (+5) 4328600 Ext. 281
angelica_batista at invemar.org.co
www.invemar.org.co