[Coral-List] Study nature, not books [Re: Artificial Reefs]

John Cubit John.Cubit at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 8 13:20:05 EDT 2010

  Before being prejudiced by the literature, I suggest you carefully
examine the structure of the natural reefs at Punta Betin, all the way
down to the finest details of the biologically-built substratum of the
reefs and the inhabitants of the substratum.   Looking at the
centimeter, millimeter, and finer scales, examine the variety of pores,
laminations, and other topographical/structural complexities that are
not captured in any standard measures of "rugosity." Examine the biota
that penetrate the substrata and their dependence on the fine properties
of the substrata.  Using this reality as your standard, look at pieces
of concrete, quarried limestone, and other materials used to build
artificial reefs.  Ask the question, "Do artificial reefs support the
same range of biological diversity?  Do artificial reefs provide the
same complex of ecological services provided by natural reefs?"
Evaluate the published information--and management decisions--accordingly.

The quote in the subject line is from Louis Agassiz.

--John

On 10/7/2010 2:22 PM, Angélica Batista wrote:
> Dear coral list members,
>

> I'm very interested in artificial reefs, its dynamics,the advantages and
> disadvantages of its use. The knowledge about it, its very important for
> management of fisheries. Looking for information about that, I found a lot of
> interesting papers, but I had troubles getting some of them.  I will be very
> grateful if you assist me with obtaining a pdf of the following papers:
>

> Artificial Reefs
> W. Seaman and W.J. Lindberg
> Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences(Second Edition)
> Pages 226-233
>
> Artificial reefs in Japan — A general outline
> Jean-Marie Thierry*
> Aquacultural Engineering
> Volume 7, Issue 5, 1988, Pages 321-348
>
> Marine habitat modification through artificial reefs off the Algarve (southern
> Portugal): An economic analysis of the fisheries and the prospects for
> management
>
> David Whitmarsh, Miguel Neves Santos, Jorge Ramos and Carlos Costa Monteiro
> Ocean&  Coastal Management
> Volume 51, Issue 6, 2008, Pages 463-468
>
> Artificial reefs: a review of their design, application, management and
> performance
>
> Mark Baine
> Ocean&  Coastal Management
> Volume 44, Issues 3-4, 2001, Pages 241-259
>
> thanks in advance for your help, best regards
>
> Angelica Batista
>
> Angelica Ma. Batista-Morales
> Investigador
> Línea Organización y Dinámica de Ecosistemas
> Programa Biodiversidad de Ecosistemas Marinos
> Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas y Costeras
> INVEMAR
> Direción: Cerro Punta Betín, Santa Marta D.T.C.H.
> Colombia
> Tel. (+57) (+5) 4328600 Ext. 281
> angelica_batista at invemar.org.co
> www.invemar.org.co
>

> Angelica Ma. Batista-Morales
> Investigador
> Línea Organización y Dinámica de Ecosistemas
> Programa Biodiversidad de Ecosistemas Marinos
> Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas y Costeras
> INVEMAR
> Direción: Cerro Punta Betín, Santa Marta D.T.C..H.
> Colombia
> Tel. (+57) (+5) 4380808 Ext. 251
> Fax. (+57)(+5) 4380801
> angelica_batista at invemar.org.co
> www.invemar.org.co
>
> ________________________________
>
> ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
> Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
> http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1

John Cubit, Ph.D.
Regional Resource Coordinator, Southwest Region
NOAA Assessment and Restoration Division, Suite 4470
501 W. Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90802

John.Cubit at noaa.gov
tel 562 980-4081
fax 562 980-4084

Cell phone (for urgent matters and travel contact) 562 810-4949