[Coral-List] Study nature, not books [Re: Artificial Reefs]

Jason Krumholz jkrumholz at gso.uri.edu
Fri Oct 8 16:53:02 EDT 2010

John (et al.),
I don't think there's a single person on Coral-List that would disagree with
your statement that artificial substrate can never hope to achieve 100% of
the habitat complexity (and therefore ecosystem value) that natural reef
provides, and as such, conservation is always a more attractive option than
restoration.

However, when viewed in the context of their ability to provide a rapid
boost to habitat complexity in areas where human activity (e.g. dredging or
ship groundings) or natural disasters have damaged natural habitat, or in
situations where fisheries augmentation would displace fishing pressure and
the associated habitat damage onto artificial substrate rather than natural,
artificial reefs, particularly designed and purpose built artificial reef
modules, have a great deal of value when used judiciously.

  (Furthermore, with the above sentence, I hope to lay claim to the
unofficial Coral-List award for the longest grammaticaly correct sentence
ever posted.)

Jason Krumholz
Scientific Co-Ordinator
The Reef Ball Foundation
Ph.D. Candidate
University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Oceanography
jkrumholz at gso.uri.edu
office: (401) 874-6011
cell: (401) 787-0944
 fax: (401) 874-6613