[Coral-List] Study nature, not books

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Sat Oct 9 02:36:52 EDT 2010

The quote from Louis Agassiz is one that is sometimes found around the
Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole, an illustrious institution.
There is a fascinating book about Louis and his son Alexander, and the son's
attempt to prove Charles Darwin's theory of coral reef formation wrong.  His
father had attacked Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.  Both were
respected scientists.  Both father and son ended up loosing those arguments.
The book is:

Dobbs, David.  2005.  Reef madness, Charles Darwin, Alexander Agassiz, and
the meaning of coral.  Pantheon Books (of Random House).  306 pp.

(For those not familiar with the name, Agassiz is pronounced ag-a-see, I
believe)

Doug