[Coral-List] contingency plan RE: lionfish in an aquarium

Delbeek, Charles CDelbeek at calacademy.org
Wed Oct 13 12:02:46 EDT 2010

> This could be a great public outreach opportunity, and a much needed one to avoid the "Finding Nemo Syndrome" .

There is such a program in place in the US called Habitattitude, a joint effort between the Pet Joint Advisory Council (PJAC), USFWS and NOAA.

http://www.habitattitude.net/

The Waikiki Aquarium used to accept fish under this program and attempt to find new homes for them, and failing that they would be humanely euthanized..

J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
Senior Biologist, Steinhart Aquarium
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Dr.
San Francisco CA 94118

phone (415) 379-5303
fax (415) 379-5304
cdelbeek at calacademy.org
www.calacademy.org

The world's only aquarium-planetarium-rainforest-living museum.