[Coral-List] Florida situation RE: contingency plan RE: lionfish in an aquarium

Rachel Odom rachelodom at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:30:19 EDT 2010

As a member of Linda Walters' lab at UCF, we have participated in several
outreach events to aquarium societies, as well. We attended MACNA (Marine
Aquarium Conference of North America) last month (and in 2008 and 2006) and
distributed hundreds of copies of our outreach materials at each event to
aquarium hobbyists and professionals. The majority of our outreach products
are available at:

http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/caulerpa/index.html

I'm finding that the aquarium hobbyists that are likely to join societies
and attend these types of conferences are already quite well-informed.
Unfortunately, it's another issue trying to reach the less-involved
hobbyists that are likely to be unaware of the dangers of releasing live
organisms. Educators interested in obtaining copies of our children's books
and other materials are welcome to get in touch with me or Dr. Linda
Walters, as we are always looking for efficient ways to spread the messages
of conservation, awareness, and invasion prevention.

Rachel Odom
MS Student
Department of Biology
University of Central Florida