[Coral-List] Mangrove certification projects - Kenya & Tanzania

Lesley Brown lesley_f_brown at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 08:56:53 EDT 2010

Dear All,

I am currently undertaking an MSc in Climate Change: Managing the Marine Environment at Heriot-Watt university in Scotland. I'm looking to complete my disseration looking at the potential REDD payments have for benefits other than carbon sequestration i.e. biodiversity conservation, livelihoods protection/enhancement, coastal protection. REDD is hoped to become a force in preventing deforestation and degradation in forests but progress in mangrove forests is at a far slower pace than terrestrial forests.

I'm looking for mangrove projects based in Kenya and Tanzania that are in the process of certifying their carbon stocks, or are looking to do so in the immediate future under any of the certification schemes (i.e. Plan Vivo, CCBF, VCS) that may be willing to participate in my study.

Can anyone suggest contacts in the region that may be able to help?

Many thanks in advance,
Lesley Brown
Consultant
LTS International www.ltsi.co.uk