[Coral-List] Florida Corals and La Nina

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 14:55:57 EDT 2010

Are Equatorial changes of circulation and SST example of/driven by "Global Warming"??

As part of my dissertation 30+yr ago I looked at the global changes 12 MYA

Basics -
Himalayas/Rockies/Andes much lower but then started rising and things changed radically when all three ranges interfered with the jets =/-10000ft

Pre-Climate was more "random" with little seasonality of rainfall and thereby coming out more "tropical" (no winter/summer and no monsoons)

Temp/Energy differentials between 0 and 90 degrees latitudes were moderate to low and winds more randomized and more evenly distributed = No major circulations patterns and no flipping monsoons

No major wind cells / more randomized =  major upwellings = no LNinas/Ninos - lots of little local ones maybe

Many small current cells NOT the big ones - NO equatorials and Gulf Stream equivalents north and south - many tropical storms but maybe NO hurricanes...

Watch the polar regions this year and the jets
In california we have had a lot more tropicals winds/rains and a shark attack as the upwelling dies (less cold water) and warmer water move/occur further north...

What do other people think?? any Biologist with strong oceanography and climatology bents??

TOM