[Coral-List] Seaward MPA boundaries | Chagos MPA

Duncan MacRae solutions at cozm.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 11:17:43 EDT 2010

Hi Douglas,

I read your coral-list comment with interest, as the extension of some
of the MPA's I have worked with in the Caribbean for the last 10 years
to the 12nm, limit has been considered a number of times.

Let me first say that I know very little about the Chagos situation
(even the distances involved of protection from the shore), and can
only comment from my own experience, I also don't know you or your
background so please forgive any obvious statements;

1. The allocation of area depends on the goal of the MPA. If the goals
are i) to protect coral, and ii) to manage shark and tuna fisheries,
then perhaps a different approach could be taken. However, as you must
appreciate, the role of MPA's often goes way beyond the management of
coral and fish stocks for exploitation. One example I can think of
which might fit with the Chagos situation (anchoring is an issue in
the Caribbean - but perhaps Chagos is too deep) is the dumping of
Ballast and other vessel borne pollution near reefs or in currents
leading to protected habitats.

2. I don't know the depths of the waters in question, but the waters
around Bonaire in the Southern Caribbean reach 3000+m within 250m of
the shore. Recent explorations of these areas have found them to be
incredibly diverse. Protection of these areas from land based
pollution or other threats has been highlighted as a priority. This
has proven difficult having set the seaward limits of the MPA at 60m
(between 100 and 200m from shore).

3. The MPA in Chagos I imagine will be zoned. Perhaps the outer
'zones' will have different rules and guidelines than the near shore
areas (again depending on the goals of the park), making patrolling
and enforcement less of an issue.

4. The burden of enforcement falls on the managers. The level of
enforcement required will be a result of the goals and aims of the
park, the defined priorities (hopefully a decent, dynamic and relevant
management plan will be in place) and the day to day operations of the
park.

5. The other point for me is that of communication. If a very clear
message is sent at the 'x' area is protected by 'Y' authority, most
people will probably abide and follow any legislation and guidelines
without asking questions. Those that have a legitimate interest in
exploitation should be involved in developing management strategies.
It is only the small percentage of illegitimate exploiters who need to
be 'managed' - an easier task if the stakeholders are included, and
patrolling / enforcement efforts are targeted.

I think it is more than a feel good exercise to set boundaries to
include deeper waters. It gives the option to 'manage' any zones in
the future - as at the Barrier Reef. Setting extensive limits from the
outset avoids the much harder task of trying to extend them at a later
date, when an unforseen threat may raise its head (I know - a bit
'precautionary' I hear you cry!).

I look forward to any further postings on the subject, questions
relating to the actual Management of MPA's are few and far between on
the Coral-List and unfortunately there is no effective list-forum yet
for PA practitioners and professionals.

Best,

Duncan

Duncan R. MacRae
MSc, PGCE, OWSI
Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas member

Director
Coastal Zone Management (UK)
Skype name: drmacrae, St Agnes.
solutions at cozm.co.uk