[Coral-List] Chagos Marine Protected Area

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 03:55:44 EDT 2010

  Dear Listers and Pete

This is an excellent example of a small but positive step to help the
Chagossians. Pete and Coral Cay Conservation (CCC) are to be
congratulated on their initiative. Two young (18 yr old) descendants of
former inhabitants of Diego Garcia were awarded these CCC scholarships
and have been given the opportunity to participate in, and learn about
coral reef conservation at a CCC training expedition in Tobago. They
even enjoyed a Club Class flight, courtesy of British Airways! They have
since returned to their families back in the United Kingdom where it is
hoped that they will transfer their newly found skills and enthusiasm to
friends and family. Hopefully, more Chagossians will be given this
opportunity.

The leader of one of several Chagossian organisations, the Diego Garcian
Society in Crawley, UK (which numbers about 2000 islanders and their
descendants) , Allen Vincatassin has endorsed the CCC scholarship
scheme: " This is a great opportunity for members of the Diego Garcian
and the Chagos community at large, that marks the initial steps to our
people becoming stewards of the protected area."

This is a first step to training and educating a new generation,
hopefully so that they can return to the Chagos knowledgeable about
coral reefs and the need for conservation. Whilst Diego Garcia is likely
to remain 'off limits' for many decades or until the US agree to any
resettlement there, it is possible that these young Diego Garcians may
have the opportunity of working in the outer islands of the Chagos
archipelago on aspects connected with the MPA. It would be a wonderful
opportunity for them to use their new found skills and to visit (perhaps
for the first time) their islands where their parents and grandparents
lived.

As a next small step I would encourage Charles Sheppard (BIOT Scientific
Adviser) to consider whether these and other young Chagossians can be
included in his annual scientific expeditions to the Chagos.

Again thanks to Pete and CCC.

Richard P Dunne