[Coral-List] Coral Reef Curmudgeons

Quenton Dokken qdokken at gulfmex.org
Tue Sep 21 09:21:47 EDT 2010

Well said Ulf and Steve.  It is also important that we start focusing on the
message and not the messenger.  As scientist we should apply our critical
analysis training to highlight strengths and weaknesses in the message -
regardless of who delivered it.  During the media frenzy associated with the
Macondo blowout I was amazed how often the media accepted the question as
the fact.  They did not understand that simply because a "scientist" posed a
question - this did not define it as fact.  No one explained to them that
first a question is asked, then a hypothesis to be tested is formulated, a
testing strategy is designed and implemented, and the results are
interpreted to determine fact. As Steve advocated scientists must accept a
higher responsibility.  Those actively pursuing facts through the scientific
method need to avoid the "Jerry Springer" stage.

Quenton

Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
President/CEO
Gulf of Mexico Foundation, Inc.