[Coral-List] Coral Reef Curmudgeons

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Tue Sep 21 10:01:27 EDT 2010

Good point, Steve. The same holds in my academic backbone. Since the
idea was first advanced in the 80's the then professors considered it
a devise by the meteorologists--who had no good research agenda on
their own--to get more funding, by stepping into the realm of long-
established scientific traditions that have studied climate change
for a century at least. Namely the geologists. Who, in general, have
never accepted anthropogenic climate change as a serious issue mostly
because natural variability is much, much larger.

The danger with this focus is that it detracts attention and funds
from more important research. But that has largely been lost in the
debate.

It seems that the "gate-keepers of the truth" who prevent an open
scientific debate on this issue sometimes are the self-appointed
"skeptics", who--probably unintentionally--end up defending belief
against science while trying to do the opposite.

Something to think about: Would things be better if the highest
ranking science publications were academic journals edited by fellow
scientists, rather than Nature and Science, which are really
journalistic publications?

Ulf Erlingsson
Lindorm, Inc.
SediMeter.com