[Coral-List] Fw: Chagos MPA - Continuing international dispute overboundaries

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Tue Sep 28 22:41:32 EDT 2010

 The point the Maldives makes about Chagos not being  permanently inhabited
is an interesting one.  Many atolls have been inhabited for very long
periods, up to thousands of years.  But those same atolls may not be
 inhabited much longer, due to sea level rise.  I believe the presidents of
Maldives and Kiribati have talked about planning for moving their entire
populations.  My understanding is that even if all carbon emissions ended
today (which it certainly won't), global temperatures will stabilize at 2-3
C higher than a couple decades ago, but sea level rise will continue for at
least 1000 years.  At 3 mm a year that would be about 3 m total rise, which
may make most atolls uninhabitable.  In addition to Chagos and the Maldives,
Kiribati, the Marshall Is, Tuvalu, and the Tuomotus are facing very serious
problems for future inhabitability, let alone permanant living.  The problem
is not of their making.  However, reefs can grow upward on the order of 3 mm
a year, some even faster.  As reefs grow upward, storm waves could move
rubble and sand up onto islands.  Although the storm waves sweeping across
the islands would cause great problems for residents, the new deposits might
keep up with sea level rise.  But in a few decades, mass coral bleaching
events are predicted to start killing corals faster than they can recover
their populations.  And acidification will be slowing coral skeleton growth
and coralline algae growth.  The reefs are likely to loose the ability to
keep up with sea level rise, and then atoll residents will indeed be in
trouble as the sea continues to rise.
    "Permanent" is a long time.  I also note that some people talk about
their transects as "permanent" and I doubt they are really permanent, that
 just sounds good.  (everybody also wants to know my "permanent address."
Give me a break, nothing is permanent about me, sorry to say.)
     Anyhow, all this is not to say that work on local coral reef issues
isn't vitally important.  I'm also not arguing in this for or against the
Chagos MPA or return or anything, just pointing out that habitation on these
 low atolls may become marginal in just a few decades and is likely not
permanent.    Doug