[Coral-List] Marine biologist position, Maldives -deadline 9th May
kayt888 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 06:35:52 EDT 2011
An update to the application deadline -deadline is 9th May, NOT 9th April as previously stated. Apologies.
Six Senses Soneva Gili in Male’ Atoll, a leading eco-resort in the Maldives is looking for an experienced marine biologist to join their team.
The Marine Biologist is responsible and accountable for all functions and activities related to marine and island-life biology, for environmental benchmarking, reporting, advising, implementing of best practices as well as for the necessary coordination with all teams of the resort and allied areas.
Within the guidelines of the Six Senses Resorts & Spas’ policies and procedures, Six Senses policies and procedures and within the guidelines of regulations set by Maldives Government, the Marine Biologist is responsible for organizing and coordinating all activities related to marine biology. S/he is furthermore involved in environmental benchmarking and reporting, training, coordinating of activities, advising as well as implementing of best environmental practices. The Marine Biologist is also accountable for introducing
the necessary systems to extend GEM (Guest Experience Maker) service. S/he will directly and indirectly through the Resident Manager, ensure smooth relations with all teams.
Start date: asap
Duration: 1 year
Application deadline: 9th May, 2011
Minimum BSc. in marine biology or related degree.
-Reef monitoring experience
-Excellent snorkeling and SCUBA diving skills
-Knowledge of tropical reef and island ecology
-Highly interactive and people friendly attitude
-Good knowledge of Microsoft for data processing, report and poster making
-Passion for conservation and social and environmental welfare
-Experience working with island communities in an educational capacity
-Ability to live and work in a multi-national, small island environment.
English, second foreign language of advantage and local dialect.
Tasks and responsibilities:
1. Environmental education:
· Guiding guest snorkeling trips once a day in the house reef or by boat
· Accompanying guests for scuba dives twice a week
· Giving regular presentations about sea and island life-related issues (two sea life talks, one microscopy course, one nature walk, once a week each)
· Being available for guests in key resort locations and during the GM’s cocktail party
· Providing marine conservation training to hosts and local islanders (e.g. school children, teachers, fishermen, etc.)
· Contributing to all promotional and educational material concerned with natural features of the resort (flora, fauna, marine life information for newsletters, posters, etc.)
· Preparing environment- and biology-related information material for the host notice board and contributing to host and Six Senses newsletters
· Organising reef and beach clean-ups at the resort and local islands
Developing awareness programs associated with reef restoration project
2. Nature monitoring:
-monitoring beach movements
-turtle nesting monitoring
-upkeep and monitoring of coral trays
-assistance in reef monitoring in collaboration with any specialist appointed by the resort or the local authority
3. Marine conservation:
-Taking stock of fish and crustacean purchases and monitoring the resort’s consumption, ensuring that only sustainable fishing is practiced
-Highlighting to resort management any other conservation issues that could be improved, and finding ways to improve them for overall sustainability
-Ensuring that all injured/stressed marine and terrestrial organisms are looked after and that animal welfare issues are addressed
-Engaging in, contributing to, driving and developing research and conservation programmes that are relevant to Laamu and Maldives.
Strong candidates will have the following experience:
-Maldives or Indian Ocean experience highly preferable
-Experience in coral nursery upkeep and restoration efforts an asset to the position
-Have experience working at 5 star resorts
Candidates that fulfill the requirements, please send c.v and cover letter detailing relevant experience to:
Deanne Garling: hrco-gili at sixsenses.com
Posted on behalf of Deanne Garling.
More information about the Coral-List