[Coral-List] Economic Valuation and Market-bas​ed Consevatio​n

Arrecifes de coral corales2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 1 20:17:12 EDT 2011

The economic valuation of coral reefs is relevant not only to the knowledge of the economists, sociologists, ecologists and managers, since it builds a bridge of communication to guide decision makers such as politicians and sponsors of coral reef protection. It would be possible to estimate by well measured economic valuations, the proper fines that infractors should pay to support environmental projects as a penalty due to their negative impacts to coral reefs such as physical damage, overfishing or pollution.  The economic valuations may stop / redesign the development of megaprojects that will cause threaten to the coral reefs e.g., oil explorations close to coral reef areas. It also serves as tool to estimate the monetary value to sale for example lion fishes in the market which is what our Foundation is doing in Colombia to enhance the focus of artisanal fisheries  on this invasive fish in the Caribbean Sea. Hopefully, the altruistic efforts of Our Foundation to contribute to save the Colombian coral reefs may be also valuated economically so We can find sponsors to be able to attend the next international meetings so We can share our findings.

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis (Master in Marine Biology, UM; Diploma Environmentqal Economics, Harvard University; MSc Social Sciences ITC The Netherlands; Doctorate Studies on Enviornmental Management, UK
CV http://201.234.78.173:8081/cvlac/visualizador/generarCurriculoCv.do?cod_rh=0001261991
Directora Ejecutiva
Fundación ICRI (International Coral Reef Initiative) Colombia en Pro de los Arrecifes Coralinos
NIT 900244099-0
Calle 97A No. 60D-88 Bogota
Emails: nohora_galvis at gmail.com
            icri.colombia at gmail.com

Grupo de Investigadores para mejorar el Manejo de Arrecifes Coralinos http://201.234.78.173:8080/gruplac/jsp/visualiza/visualizagr.jsp?nro=00000000010268

http://www.reefcheck.org/newsletter/072010/#9
http://icri-colombia.es.tl/

http://icri-colombia.blogspot.com/

Punto Focal ICRI para Colombia por la Sociedad Civil Iniciativa Internacional para los Arrecifes Coralinos

http://iyor.org/focalpoints/countries/colombia/default.asp

"Antes de imprimir Piensa si es necesario, cuida el Medio Ambiente"