[Coral-List] Fw: SECORE Acropora Spawning Workshop 2011

vassil zlatarski vzlatarski at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 13:26:55 EDT 2011

Dear Coral-Listers,

The interest to Acropora palmata and A. cervicornis is really commendable, but what about their hybrid A. prolifera?  Now we know about the importance of coral hybridization as an evolutionary strategy.  In the case of A. prolifera occurs backcrossing between the hybrid and the parents, therefore it is wrong to consider A. prolifera an evolutionary dead-end.  In addition, this hybrid can be more fit than both parents, occupy new econiches and have a bioconstructive role.  Also, there are indications for occurrence of hybridization in the geological past.  Unfortunately, the existing conservation documents exclude the coral hybrids and what is much more inexplicable, no action is in process to fix them.  As result, the research interest and efforts are obedient to bureaucratic practice and do not serve professionally for the coral conservation.
Kindly, some references:
RICHARDS, Z.T., WALLACE,
C.C., MILLER, D.J., 2010. Archetypal 'elkhorn' coral discovered in the Pacific Ocean. Systematics and Biodiversity, 8(2):
281-288.

BUDD, A.F., 2010. Tracing the long-term
evolution of a species complex: Examples from the Montastraea "annularis"
complex. Palaeoworld, 19(3-4):
348-356.
ZLATARSKI, V.N., 2010. Palaeobiological
perspectives on variability and taxonomy of scleractinian corals. Palaeoworld, 19(3-4): 333-339.
Cheers,
Vassil Zlatarski

D.Sc. (Biology), Ph.D. (Geology)

131 Fales Rd., Bristol, RI 02809, USA;  tel.: +1-401-254-5121