[Coral-List] Economic Valuation and maket based conservation

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 10:24:47 EDT 2011

Lots of interesting ideas and concepts have surfaced in
reaction to the discussion on economic valuation as it
relates to coral reef conservation. For sure tourism
and general economic development contribute to the problems
observed on our reefs, but isn't the obvious indifference
of societies in reaction to the degradation the real issue?

We can debate the proportionate impact of climate change,
ocean acidification, offshore drilling, agricultural practices,
over-fishing, population growth and associated development all
we want, but if societal indifference is the prevalent reaction
what does it matter?

Somehow we have to overcome biases and translate our collective
concern for coral reefs into a campaign that ultimately results
in a conversion of what appears to be widespread intrinsic values
and priorities deep-seated with apathy for this cause.

In this light, Carl's use of Deming's quote seems right on target.
("It is not necessary to change.  Survival is not mandatory.")

Steve