[Coral-List] Economic Valuation and market based conservation

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Thu Aug 18 13:31:08 EDT 2011

The way I see the failure of economics can best be described by a
similitude. Imagine that Nature is a bank vault full of money.
Economic activities drill holes in the walls and extract the money.
The amount of money they extract is the "value" of what they
"create", but the amount of decreasing resources inside remain
unknown, or even unknowable.

Many years ago I made a simple index that relates present use levels
to sustainable use levels. This refers to natural resources.
Pollution is regarded as the usage of the resource of clean nature,
and the sustainable level is the one that nature can absorb (e.g. by
breaking down a toxic compound). Thus, one equation can be used for
all situations. The crux is just to find out what the sustainable
level is.

When it comes to renewable resources the sustainable level is the
rate of renewal. When it comes to cyclically renewed resources, such
as glacial deposits, the renewal rate is [amount / length of an ice
age cycle]. When it comes to substances formed in stars, it is of
course the age of our solar system we should consider.

Rather than writing it all here I refer to a popular presentation at
http://atlantisinireland.com/sustainability.php

Ulf Erlingsson