[Coral-List] QPCR2011 workshop announcement

mikhail matz matz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 8 19:48:59 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce this year's "QPCR for Coral Biologists" workshop, to take place at Mote Tropical Research lab in the Florida Keys, on August 15-22, 2011.

Gene expression can be indicative of physiological condition, genetic background, long-term acclimation, or evolutionary adaptation. All these aspects are of great interest for marine biology, especially in the context of organisms’ response to the ongoing climate change. Despite its great potential, gene expression profiling remains under-utilized in marine biology, since it is typically not a part of its curriculum. To fill this education gap and thus expand the scope of future marine research, we will introduce marine biologists (with limited or even no prior molecular experience) to quantitative PCR (QPCR), which is a golden standard of gene expression quantification.

Check the workshop's website for the detailed syllabus, application procedures, and costs:
www.bio.utexas.edu/research/matz_lab/matzlab/QPCR.html

See you in Florida!

best regards,

Mikhail "Misha" Matz