[Coral-List] Lionfish.

Ken Marks data at agrra.org
Mon Jan 24 13:21:41 EST 2011

On 1/24/2011 9:16 AM, John Ware wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> Speaking of lionfish, a recent article in Dive Training magazine
> mentioned lionfish being up to 1 m long (presumably 1 meter).  Was this
> a  misprint or has a fish this long actually been observed and measured??

Sounds like a fish tale to me.

The invasive lionfish in the Atlantic waters do seem to be growing to a
larger size than they max out in the tropical Pacific. The largest one
I've removed from the waters off the East side of Andros Island was 42cm
and I believe the record is somewhere around 47cm from the East coast of
the US (Carolinas if I recall correctly).

If they start reaching 1m I'm going to hang up my mask and fins and
take-up bird watching.

--
Ken Marks
AGRRA Data Manager