[Coral-List] Revised Postings for Oceana Jobs

Matthew Huelsenbeck matthuelsenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:26:15 EST 2011

I wanted to rephrase the postings for the two positions at Oceana that were
pointed out to contain a factual error regarding Oceana's mission statement
and found to be offensive. My apologies, I was not the writer and my job was
to advertise the positions, but I can fix it to make it factual correct.
Here are the revised postings that I hope you could add to the email list.
Thank you.

Campaign Organizer – Climate and Energy Campaign
Wilmington/Newark, Delaware
Department: Policy

Oceana, founded in 2001, is the largest international organization focused
solely on ocean conservation. Our offices in North America, Central America,
South America and Europe work together on a limited number of strategic,
directed campaigns to achieve measurable
outcomes<http://na.oceana.org/en/about-us/our-victories>that will help
return our oceans to former levels of abundance. We believe
in the importance of science in identifying problems and solutions. Our
scientists work closely with our teams of economists, lawyers and advocates
to achieve tangible results for the oceans.

Position Description
Manages campaign in Wilmington/Newark to stop expanded offshore oil and gas
drilling and to promote action on climate change in local, national, and
international forums. Builds public engagement on offshore drilling and
renewable energy. With direction from Campaign Manager, works independently
to execute a campaign plan and carries out the tasks necessary to meet
campaign objectives. Tracks timelines,
and reports on progress to Campaign Manager. Manages a varied and high
volume workload and requires initiative to work on own to meet deadlines and
accomplish tasks. This position will be temporary.

Principal duties and responsibilities include:
1. Build a broad, effective campaign including, but not limited to,
grassroots coalition building, earned and paid media acquisition,
legislative advocacy, science, public engagement, repeat volunteerism, and
development of a self-sustaining and continuing foundation of support.
2. Execute the campaign in conjunction with a team of professionals. This
will include working with other field staff, on-line activists, legislative
and
communications professionals, vendors, consultants and others.
3. Regularly report on progress of the campaign, and lead the charge for
overcoming obstacles to ensure goals and objectives are met.
4. Perform additional duties as needed and/or assigned.

Qualifications
1. At least 2 years of campaign experience, with at least one in a
management position. This should include experience engaging volunteers and
building a foundation of support for a policy outcome.
2. Demonstrated success building, and cultivating new relationships in a way
that persuades individuals to support the organization’s agenda and
generates measurable results.
3. A proven track record in grassroots field organizing and public speaking..
4. Experience in coordinating media relations.
5. A track record of being detail oriented, with good organizational skills
and follow-through.
6. Demonstrated initiative to self-motivate, to work with diverse
communities, serve as a team leader, and achieve Oceana’s goals.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to
multi-task.
8. Computer literacy, particularly with Microsoft Office applications.
9. An ability to work well with others.

How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to mdundas at oceana.org with Campaign
Organizer – Climate and Energy Campaign in the subject line. Check out our
website www.oceana.org to learn more about who we are and what we do. EOE.

Campaign Organizer – Climate and Energy Campaign
Norfolk, VA

--
*Matthew Huelsenbeck
Climate Change Science Intern