[Coral-List] Coral Larvae Settlement on Glass

Joseph Marlow joemarlow_2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 08:47:53 EDT 2011

Dear Listers

Thanks for all your replies on my glass coral larvae settlement enquiry. I would like to assure everyone that we will only put the glass in the sea if we are certain that the glass would not become a possible threat to the environment or bathers. I agree that the stability of the bottles is crucial to encouraging algae and eventual coral settlement, so we will be looking into ways to encase and stabilise the bottles. For those of you who asked, the area of reef concerned has been damaged in the past by boat traffic and reduced to rubble, the boat threat is no longer present but the rubble is unsuitable for coral settlement.

Thanks

Joe Marlow