[Coral-List] 12th ICRS registration fee query

Paul Jones littlepaul77 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:02:23 EDT 2011

Dear listers,

I received a brochure today for the 12th International
Coral Reef Symposium, to be held in Cairns, Australia in July 2012.  I am saddened to say that while my enthusiasm
for attending the event remains high, my probability of participation took a
bit of a nose dive once I saw the registration fees.

Four years ago, in Fort Lauderdale, the early bird registration
fees were:

Member/Non-member  - $495 / $545

Student member/non-member - $275 / $295

For the 12th ICRS, the early bird fees are (converted
to US$ for correct comparison):

Member/Non-member
-  $995 / $1050

Student  -  $700

At a time when funding is tight and grants are scarce, I am
a little disheartened to see that the registration fees have doubled (and almost
tripled for students). Obviously I have never been involved in organizing an
event such as this, but does anyone have any information as to why the fee is
so high this time?