[Coral-List] 12th ICRS registration fee query

Juan Federico Urich juanurich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:18:48 EDT 2011

Dear Robert: Perhaps the reason is because Coral reef research is trendy and
fashionable, and probably the organizers did not recognized this fact
(Scientific purism?), and so lacked the salesmanship to involve
with contributions the huge world wide recreational diving industry. that
ultimately benefits from the Science.

Best regards
Juan
2011/7/13 Robert Ginsburg <rginsburg at rsmas.miami.edu>

> Thanks Paul  for the  bad news  from  down-under.  Paul  and  colleagues
>  how  sad  that only a few students   will  be  lucky  enough   to  find
> funds.  Maybe  we should  consider organizing our  own  meeting in  2014
>  with  a focus  on  student  participation?
>

> Robert  Ginsburg
>
> On 7/12/2011 7:02 PM, Paul Jones wrote:
>

>> Dear listers,
>>
>> I received a brochure today for the 12th International
>> Coral Reef Symposium, to be held in Cairns, Australia in July 2012.  I am
>> saddened to say that while my enthusiasm
>> for attending the event remains high, my probability of participation took
>> bit of a nose dive once I saw the registration fees.
>>

>> Four years ago, in Fort Lauderdale, the early bird registration
>> fees were:
>>
>> Member/Non-member  - $495 / $545
>>
>> Student member/non-member - $275 / $295
>>

>> For the 12th ICRS, the early bird fees are (converted
>> to US$ for correct comparison):
>>
>> Member/Non-member
>> -  $995 / $1050
>>
>> Student  -  $700
>>

>> At a time when funding is tight and grants are scarce, I am
>> a little disheartened to see that the registration fees have doubled (and
>> almost
>> tripled for students). Obviously I have never been involved in organizing
>> an
>> event such as this, but does anyone have any information as to why the fee
>> is
>> so high this time?

" EL PODER MANDA FUERA
LA CONCIENCIA MANDA DENTRO"