[Coral-List] Postdocs too RE: 12th ICRS registration fee query

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:46:05 EDT 2011

Not just the students, but also the postdocs, who pay an early bird registration of AUD $990 or US $ 1,066, twice the rate I paid to attend ICRS-Fort Lauderdale.
If coming from the Americas, (for my calculations, Miami), attending this conference is about US $5,000. And that is a bare-bones trip, where you depend on the kindness of friends or strangers to take you to and from the airports, you eat only airplane food or what is served in the conference, you walk or somehow teleport yourself from the hotel to the conference site, you limit your conference-related social activities to the welcome and poster receptions and you don't attend any of the scientific field trips. Because if you add all the things I excluded in my estimate (and some could say they are essential to take full advantage of such an important meeting, specially the part of eating some food), then the cost goes up to about US $10,000.
Still, this might be once in a lifetime opportunity. Not just for the scientific exchange, and the chance to make an impact and improve the future of coral reefs, but also for the chance to go SCUBA diving in the Great Barrier Reef, perhaps even joining the same scientists that are doing research right there! I mean, that's  the "gist" of any marine scientist studying coral reefs.
If we cannot attend, then we'll have to wait another 4 years for the next ICRS. And I wonder how many coral reefs will be alive in 2016.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Schmidt Ocean Institute Postdoctoral FellowOcean Research & Conservation Association (ORCA) 1420 Seaway Drive, Fort Pierce, Florida 34949 USA Tel (772) 467-1600http://www.teamorca.orghttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres