[Coral-List] 12th ICRS registration fee query

Ernesto Weil eweil at caribe.net
Thu Jul 14 13:53:38 EDT 2011

Bob and colleagues, with these fees, not only a VERY few, or no students,
will be able to attend, but also very few faculty, especially those coming
from the Caribbean and the developing countries. Attendance for a single
person traveling from the Caribbean could probably run around US $ 5,000
including registration, air fare (high season), hotel and per-diem. This
could probably leave 90% of the coral reef and oceanographic researchers
from this region without any chance of attending. Very few would have
budgeted such a high amount for a single meeting attendance in their
research proposals. I budgeted $ 3,500 and had to strongly justify it to the
agency, so now, there is a chance of not been able to attend. What is the
justification for this significant increase in registration fees?? Was this
discussed when our colleagues from Australia presented their proposal?? What
would the fees be four years from 2012?

EW