[Coral-List] 12th ICRS registration fee query

Kristen Marhaver pipetteupanddown at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:17:49 EDT 2011

Dear Coral List,

I worry that the cost of ICRS (now and in the past) is driving away
the resource managers and conservation practitioners we so desperately
need to communicate with at these meetings. Perhaps as a community, we
should start working on ways to decrease the cost of future meetings
for those outside of academia. I would be more comfortable paying US
$995 if I was helping a marine park manager attend. Western Society of
Naturalists does a terrific job of raising money year-round (and
during the tequila auction) to offset the cost of student travel. I
suggest we show our dedication to communication and conservation as
least as strongly as WSN shows its commitment to student
participation.

I am also interested to hear whether speakers at past or upcoming ICRS
meetings receive honorariums, and at what rate.

Best regards,

Kristen

Kristen Marhaver
Postdoctoral Scholar