[Coral-List] Cameras for time-lapse video

Georgios Tsounis georgios at icm.csic.es
Fri Jul 15 18:33:25 EDT 2011

Dear Sarah,

your best bet to get high quality time lapse video, and at a repative
bargain price is indeed using a digital stills camera, like a Nikon or
Canon etc. Check the internet, there are many how-to guides, such as:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-i-made-a-time-lapse-movie-with-my-dslr

It also solves battery issues, and provides you with very high
definition video. Granted, you have to find a way to import the images
into a video format, such as iPhoto or other methods, but it is quite
easy. There are world famous award winning underwater cameramen like
the team of Howard Hall, Bob Cranston and Peter Cragh preferring a
DSLR even though they own or have acess to any other system.

Reagrding which model to get exactly, I suppose any entry level DSLR
will do, the photographer in link I posted used a Canon 20d for which
you can get an Ikelite housing. Second hand through private hands at
wetpixel.com or a dealer (e.g. Backscatter.com, or Helix) will be
quite inexpensive.

You can also post questions on the wetpixel forum to help you with
chosing lenses, lighting setup etc. A durable tripod may be the
challenge, but there are solutions.

All the best,
Georgios

Dr. Georgios Tsounis
Institut de Ciències del Mar, CMIMA (CSIC)
Departamento Biología Marina y Oceanografía
Passeig Marítim de la Barceloneta, 37-49
08003 Barcelona, Spain

Phone: 34  932 309 611
Fax: 34 93 2 309 555
E-mail: georgios at icm.csic.es