[Coral-List] ICRS 2012 costs

Chris.Jeffrey at noaa.gov Chris.Jeffrey at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 18 08:12:53 EDT 2011

I do agree that the costs associated with this ISCRS will be astronomical. However, even if the registration fee was $0.00, costs would still be astronomical for many. The reality is that is travel is expensive, and in general, the further you go the more you pay. So regardless of where the meetings are held, the cost will be prohibitive for many. A previous post suggest hosting in the Middle East; cost will be prohibitive for those of us from the Caribbean, as it will be for this upcoming ISCRS in Australia.

Perhaps the ICRS organizers may wat to consider a regional approach to the organization (Caribbean, Middle East etc.), with regional meetings being the focus, and then periodically convening the global meetings for those who can afford to attend?

Christopher F.G. Jeffrey, Ph.D
Marine Biologist / Spatial Ecologist
NOAA National Ocean Service
NCCOS | CCMA | Biogeography Branch
1305 East-West Hwy, SSMC-4, N/SCI-1, #9213 Silver Spring, MD 20910-3281

301.713.3028 x-134 (Tel)
301.713.4384 (Fax)
http://ccma.nos.noaa.gov/about/biogeography/

Project Manager, CSS-Dynamac