[Coral-List] ISRS and ICRS.

John Ware jware at erols.com
Wed Jul 27 13:51:41 EDT 2011

Dear List,

As an aside, I have always found it interesting that, during my tenure
of Treasurer in the ISRS (8 years, ending just after the 11th),
membership has declined slowly but steadily while the number of people
attending the ICRS has increased markedly.  The ISRS has a membership
that hovers slightly over 300 but attendance at ICRS is well over 1000.

And, just to make sure everyone understands: No one 'owns' the name
"International Coral Reef Symposium".  When we looked into the ISRS
owning the name, we found the cost prohibitive (because we would have to
register in every country).

So, if you don't like the way the ICRS is run, you can run your own ICRS
in your backyard next week and cook the banquet dinner on your barbecue.
 (I prefer my hamburgers medium well done.)

John

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
    *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
    *                       301 987-8507                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
    *                   Member of the Council:                  *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *                                          _                *
    *                                         |                 *
    *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org