[Coral-List] need GPS recommendations

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Jun 29 08:38:39 EDT 2011

Hey Steve,

I am a strong believe if it is not broken, don't fix it....BUT you might
consider an upgrade to the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx which you can buy new from
under $225 bucks.

Trying to accurately record coordinates on a wrist slate while wearing a
mask at sea is not the easiest of tasks even for a pro and with the number
of digits of precision that can now be recorded at a minimum there could be
rounding errors and most likely over the years of recording numbers at least
a few would likely to have been recorded incorrectly or accidentally
transcribed wrong.

One beauty of the above unit is you can just push two keys (Mark then Enter)
to quickly record the location and a record number (which you can use your
slate to make a backup using that record number).....if I were following a
turtle for example I could just keep hitting mark and enter as I followed
and you'd not only get the turtle location but also it's path!

When combined with a camera you can take pictures and points as fast as you
can snap a shot and that's really great if you have to record a lot of data
in a short period of time and as all of us that work in the sea know
collection time is often limited by weather, boat availability and a host of
other reasons.

By the way, the newer sensitive antennas REALLY are better....and the
mapping functions are a nice bonus.

Just my two cents worth....I don't have any special interest in Garmin.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court