[Coral-List] Bumphead parrotfish (Bolbometopon) – NOAA request for information

David Nichols David.Nichols at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 3 20:37:21 EST 2011

   The United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National
   Marine Fisheries Service is responding to a petition to list the bumphead
   parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) under the United States Endangered
   Species Act. Our Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center team is finalizing
   their  biological report.  The next step is to evaluate the regulatory
   mechanisms  and protective efforts across the range of the species (44
   countries - see below ).  We would appreciate any help/insight that will
   contribute to the information we have on Bolbometopon conservation and
   management.  Specifically, we are looking for information on...
   1.) what gear/methods are used to harvest Bolbometopon in your area or other
   areas you are familiar (spearfishing, gillnet, other)?
   2.) are there any regulations or similar mechanism that might limit their
   harvest (e.g. catch limits, gear restrictions, marine protected areas)?
   3.) are there any "unwritten" rules that might help protect Bolbometopon
   (traditional practices, community-based management)?
   4.) additional thoughts on the effectiveness of these rules, regulations and
   protective efforts in the conservation of this species?
   Please feel free provide me with the contact information of any individuals
   with information to contribute or please forward this email to any relevant
   experts.
   Thanks for any help you can provide.
   Aloha,

   David Nichols

   Endangered Species Act Biologist
   National Marine Fisheries Service
   Pacific Islands Regional Office
   1601 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite 1110
   Honolulu, Hawaii  96814

   [1]david.nichols at noaa.gov

   _____________________
   Relevant Countries:

   Australia (Christmas Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos-Keeling Islands)
   Cambodia
   China
   Comoros Islands
   Djibouti
   Egypt
   Eritrea
   Fed. States of Micronesia
   Fiji
   France (Mayotte, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Reunion, Wallis, Fortuna)
   India
   Indonesia
   Iran
   Israel
   Japan
   Kenya
   Kiribati
   Madagascar
   Malaysia
   Maldives
   Marshall Islands
   Mauritius
   Mozambique
   Myanmar
   Niui
   Palau
   Papau New Guinea
   Phillipines
   Samoa
   Saudi Arabia
   Seychelles
   Solomon Islands
   Somalia
   Sri lanka
   Sudan
   Taiwan
   Tonga
   Tuvalu
   Tanzania
   Thailand
   United  States  (American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas
   Islands, Guam)
   Vanuatu
   Vietnam
   Yemen