[Coral-List] Mangrove tree Avicennia marina growth rings

Bernard-Armand THOMASSIN ba.thomassin at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 16 04:49:00 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

Since a long time, I try to correlate Indopacific massive coral bandings (Porites) with others animals (I used Trocas and limplets shells) or trees (mangrove trees)living on reefs or along coral reef lagoons.

Ending a short study on the growth of the mangrove tree Avicennia marina along the Qatar coasts (Persian Gulf), the alone mangrove tree growing there, I find an annual double banding, very interesting according the opposite seasonal parameters of this country.

But, as I am not a botanist or a forestman, I need more informations of the growth rings of this mangal tree from dry and arid climate (for example: Red Sea, others regions from the Persian Gulf, etc.) and for comparison from more wet and rainy areas (Eastern Africa, India, Pakistan and from the Asian Mediterranee.
I found very few data in the litterature.

Those having or knowing where you could find these types of informations and data, please contact me directly.

Thanks a lot.

Bernard

Bernard A. THOMASSIN
G.I.S. "Lag-May" & Oceanographic Center of Marseilles, Mediterranean Univ.,
tél GSM (33) 06 63 14 91 78
ba.thomassin at wanadoo.fr