[Coral-List] response to tsunami at Kwajalein

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 01:30:35 EDT 2011

    After the big tsunami and disaster in Ache, Indonesia, I asked around if
anyone remembered any tsunamis here in American   Samoa.  Those I asked didn't.
Yet Hawaii gets them all the time, sometimes they are disasters.  Their phone
books have maps of what areas are subject to the tsunamis, they have warning
sirens, they had all of that back in the late 60's..  Why do they get so many and
American   Samoa had no history of getting any in recent memory?  (American
Samoa is mostly high volcanic islands, which is where the people are, and
actually we get them though ones that cause damage seem to be rare.)  One of the
factors is what direction the energy radiates from the fault.  The fault has to
be one where one side of the fault rises, the other falls.  That moves huge
amounts of water.  The energy radiates perpendicular to the direction of the
fault.  Some maps of the path of the waves showed in different colors where the
largest waves were.  The fault parallels the Japanese coast because it is the
Pacific Plate going under the plate that northern Japan is part of, amazingly it
is the North American plate!  So the greatest energy in the waves went eastward
towards Hawaii.  Actually, as I look at the NOAA simulation map, looks like the
greatest energy went roughly between Hawaii and the Marshalls, but it is hard to
tell on that map since you can’t see islands other than Hawaii.  The NOAA
simulation may well have predicted that the Marshalls got as much energy as
Hawaii, but it is only a simulation, not actual recorded data.  Guam which is
much closer, yet had much smaller waves, because it is almost straight south and
in line with the fault line.  Hawaii is also in the target direction for the
largest waves from the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.  The Marshall Islands appear
to just be far enough away from the direction the greatest power in the waves
went, to not get hit hard.  If there were a major earthquake in southern Japan
or the Philippines, they might not be so lucky.
     Tsunami waves are not just water motion at the surface like wind waves.
All the water moves, that at the bottom several kilometers deep as well as at
the surface.  At the surface the tsunami is only a couple feet high or so in
deep water and has a period of 10 minutes or so, so very hard to notice.  If the
bottom rises as it must near land or an atoll, the water movement and energy of
the wave gets crowded into a smaller and smaller space and the height of the
wave increases and it slows (from about 500 miles an hour).  Bays also funnel
the energy and water motion laterally into a smaller space.  The word "tsunami"
in Japanese means "harbor wave" since often the only damage is in harbors or
bays.  Net effect is that to predict the height and destructive power of a
tsunami, you have to have accurate mapping of depths near land and the seacoast
shape, plus a mathematical model of how it works, and probably a fairly fast
computer to run it on.  Even then the predictions don't always match the
observed tsunami exactly, and improvements in the depth maps and model are
needed to get a better match.
      But as far as I know there is no intrinsic reason atolls should be spared
any more than any other land from tsunamis.  It would all depend on the shape of
the underwater topography and magnitude of the tsunami as it approaches the
atoll or land.  Before March 29, 2009, we here in American Samoa thought we
didn't get destructive tsunamis.  We learned the hard way that day that we do.
       Cheers,  Doug

To see the NOAA simulations, take a look at

http://nctr.pmel.noaa.gov/honshu20110311/

Douglas Fenner, Ph.D.
Coral Reef Monitoring Ecologist
Dept Marine & Wildlife Resources