[Coral-List] somatic mutation

Fautin, Daphne G fautin at ku.edu
Fri Mar 25 15:35:54 EDT 2011

Thanks to all of you who have requested a PDF of the 1997 paper by Buddemeier, Fautin, and Ware that discusses somatic mutation (Acclimation, adaptation and algal symbioses in reef-building corals).  A PDF is available on my home page, http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/daphne.html.

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Curator, Natural History Museum (Biodiversity Institute)
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045 USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
skype user name daphne.fautin
evo user name fautin
website invertebratezoology.biodiversity.ku.edu/home<http://www.nhm.ku.edu/~inverts>

    database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
       newest version released 22 December 2010
 **http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2**

Although it is true that all cells in a coral colony descend from a single zygote, the genetic makeup of individual cells can change through mutation.  It is unlikely that a single genotype would be adaptive to all parts of a large colony (e.g. underside/upperside, shade/exposed to sunlight) and through all the time it has lived.  It is likely that all polyps/cells in a coral colony that has lived for some time are not precisely genetically identical; rather, through somatic mutation, a colony is a genetic chimera.

Attached is a paper that advances this position.  In case the attachment does not survive, the reference is
Buddemeier, Robert W., Daphne G. Fautin, and John R. Ware. 1997. Acclimation, adaptation and algal symbioses in reef-building corals. Pages 71-76 in Coelenterate Biology: Proceedings of the Sixth International Congress of Coelenterate Biology, J. C. den Hartog, editor. Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum, Leiden.